12.07.2011

diy: jute rope wall art

When I took the month of October off, I set a goal for myself that I would finish make livable the public rooms of our house: entry, living, dining, and kitchen. And I did...just barely. It took a ton of work, a ton of diy and by the end I was running low on ideas for super affordable (read almost free) decorating ideas. But as I was scraping the bottom of the idea barrel, this little gem came to me.

I really love nautical and coastal inspired decor. It started in our old guest bedroom and now that we're in the new house it's spread to almost every wall (for example, my paint colors are gray, sand, and various shades of blue and teal). So, I guess what I'm saying is that I should've expected something nautical and beachy to be the answer to the question "what in the world am I going to do with that wall?!"

Without further ado, here she is:

I know it doesn't look like much in the pictures, but this was so simple and affordable (not to mention easily update-able depending on your mood) that I just love it. I used jute rope from the jewelry section of the craft store. I was originally looking for hemp, but the jute was 1/5 the price ringing in at $2.50 with my ever-useful 40% off coupon. All the pictures are old ones I had around the house or pics I cut out of magazines, so in other words free. I also had the clothespins hanging so those were repurposed too.



As far as putting it together, all I did was measure and mark exactly where  I wanted the ropes to hang on the wall. Then I hammered in a nail with a medium-sized head on each side (I wanted the nailheads to show a little bit). Then I cut my cords to equal lengths, tied the knots in the end, and hung them up. The whole thing took maybe 30 minutes.

I think I'd still like to try weathering the wood on the clothespins to give it a more battered driftwood look, but other than that I'm really happy with the outcome. I can't wait to start changing out the pictures for Christmas cards as the season gets into full swing!

No comments:

Post a Comment