2.07.2011

flour grinding 101: using a kitchenaid grain mill

I fell in love with white whole wheat flour after using it to make a roux for homemade macaroni and cheese (I didn't have any all-purpose in the house). The flavor was so amazing, so perfectly light and nutty, that I stopped buying all-purpose flour altogether and just stuck with white whole wheat for everyday use. The only drawback was the cost: five pounds of white whole wheat flour cost the same amount as twenty-five pounds of all-purpose. Ick.

Enter this little Kitchenaid grain mill.


See that big, shiny silver thing on the front of my Kitchenaid mixer? That is a grain mill, a gift from my MIL for my birthday. And it is, hopefully, going to make the cost of always using white whole wheat flour about equal too, if not less than, using all-purpose.

Sitting in front of it are the first two grain blends I tried. My MIL and I picked them up at a local mill famous for it's delicious mixes (I especially love their buckwheat pancake mix). Now, this grain is probably not as economical as I could find with a little leg work, but it was part of my gift and the perfect thing to use for a test run of my grain mill.

Here's how it went:

First, measure your grain (1 cup of grain yields about 1 1/2 cups of flour)


Grind it on a fairly coarse setting the first time through, just to break everything up.


Next, put it back through the mill using the finest setting. Your flour should end up looking a lot more like storebought flour now.


I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I put my flour through a third time using the finest setting again. But I think in the future I would sift it at this point and only put anything left in the sifter back through the mill a final time.

I know I sound crazy grinding flour three times when I could just go out and buy it, for a similar cost and much less time. But, I'm going to be honest, there isn't much that makes me happier than taking "made from scratch" to a whole new level. Give me time and I'll probably add a little wheat section to my garden. ;)

P.S. I made these zucchini muffins using the flour I milled. So delicious! I've been making them for months now and it is my favorite zucchini muffin recipe.


1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh! I can't wait to come over and do this with you some day!!! :) so cool!

    ReplyDelete